Do I Need a Permit?
All rights reserved
Municipal Inspections Services 2013
Electrical permit shall not be required, as in accordance with the Michigan electrical code, R 408.30801 to R
408.30880, for any of the following:

  • Repairs and maintenance: Minor repair work, including the replacement of lamps or the connection of approved portable
    electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Radio and television transmitting stations: The provisions of the code do not apply to electrical equipment used for radio
    and television transmissions, but do apply to equipment and wiring for power supply and to the installation of towers and
  • Temporary testing systems: A permit is not required for the installation of any temporary system required for the testing
    or servicing of electrical equipment or apparatus.

Mechanical permits shall not be required for any of the following:

  • A portable heating or gas appliance that has inputs of less than 30,000 BTU per hour.
  • Portable ventilation appliances and equipment.
  • A portable cooling unit.
  • Steam, hot water, or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment or appliances regulated by the code.
  • The replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of equipment or an appliance or make such
    equipment or appliance unsafe.
  • A portable evaporative cooler.
  • Self-contained refrigeration systems that contain 10 pounds (4.5kg) or less of refrigerant, or that are actuated by motors
    of 1 horsepower (0.75kW) or less.
  • Portable fuel cell appliances that are not connected to a fixed piping system and are not interconnected to a power grid.
  • An oil burner that does not require connection to a flue, such as an oil stove and a heater equipped with a wick.
  • When changing or relocating a gas meter or regulator, a permit is not required when installing gas piping which shall be
    limited to 10 feet (3.005 mm) in length and not more than 6 fittings.

Plumbing permits shall not be required for any of the following:

  • The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe; if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent
    pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material then the work is
    considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the code.
  • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures, and the removal and reinstallation of
    water closets if the repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes, or fixtures.

  • One-story detached accessory structures if the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.  
  • Painting:  interior or exterior of house or building
  • Non-structural interior work: cosmetic only, painting, wallpaper, paneling, tiling, carpeting, cabinets etc.
  • Re-shingling roof:  in some cases, if you are not removing existing shingles.  If you will be removing the existing shingles
    new state code regulations now require permits to be obtained.  If you are making structural repairs to roof trusses,
    rafters, or are replacing rotting boards, you will need a building permit.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a 1 or 2 family dwelling.
  • Fences:  that are not more than 6 feet high.
  • Retaining walls:  that are not more than 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
  • Sidewalk or driveway that is not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and is not over any basement or story below.
  • A prefabricated swimming pool that is less than 24 inches deep.
To arrange for an inspection,
MUST call our inspection
line at (517) 622-8822.

Please leave the following
  • Name
  • Address of the inspection
  • Type of inspection
  • Permit number
  • Contact number for the
    Inspector to reach you
  • Special access
  • Keybox Code